Fall 2020 volleyball season rules adjustments:
Practices and Matches can be Friday evenings, Saturday any time, or Sunday any time.
Line up cards:
Line up cards will not be used for this season. Players will be listed in the scorebook.
All matches will have a 45-minute time limit.
The service line will be the back line of the court.
Exception: 6th grade can serve from the 28ft. mark instead of the 30ft. back line.
Limit one parent spectator per player. No exceptions, no younger siblings, etc.
3rd Grade Rule Modifications
(Unless specified, games will be played according to high school rules).
3rd Grade Objectives: 3rd grade is our entry-level for volleyball participation. The goal of the program is to help children develop movement skills, and volleyball specific skills, in order to move and play with basic passing fundamentals of the game. The single serve and coach toss encourages and enhances this development.
Games are played according to the National Federation of State High School Associations Volleyball Rules Book (NFHS). Below are modifications and clarifications adopted by Kisports for teams in the 3rd grade.
- The Match & Scoring
- There will be no scoring for 3rd grade. Teams will play with a running clock. Games will be broken up into two halves.
- First half will be 20 minutes with a 5 minute break; teams will then switch sides and play a second half for 20 minutes.
- Time Outs
- Time Outs (2 per game) shall not exceed 30 seconds and are not allowed during the last two minutes of a time limit.
- The Server
- There will be three total serves for each team possession. Servers have the opportunity to serve one time in the serving position. Once the player serves, it will become coach toss for two serves. In coach toss, the defensive coach will toss the ball twice to their own team. The coach will move to the opposite side of the net to put the ball into play. Defensive players may not attack the ball at the net, regardless of if the ball is served by the player or coach toss.
- The Rotation
- Each team must rotate their entire roster throughout each game, into the serving position. In rotation, the new player can be inserted before or after the team’s possession. Whichever you decide you need to be consistent throughout the game.
- The Court
- 3rd grade play on a court 20′ X 20′ for each half.
- Serving Line
- 3rd grade will serve from a line 12′ from the net.
- 3rd grade will have 6′ net height.
- A special light weight ball will be used and provided by KIDSPORTS.
- Team Composition
- A team shall consist of four players on the court at one time in 3rd grade. At least three players must be present to start a game. If a player shows up after a game has begun, he/she should be inserted into the game at a side-out or a time out.
- Playing Requirements
- All players on the team roster must be listed on the line-up card. All players present play in every game. Players follow the rotation assigned by the coach prior to the game. The only substitutions or changes allowed will be due to a late arriving player or an injured player.