Fall 2020 volleyball season rules adjustments:
Practices and Matches can be Friday evenings, Saturday any time, or Sunday any time.
Line up cards:
Line up cards will not be used for this season. Players will be listed in the scorebook.
All matches will have a 45-minute time limit.
The service line will be the back line of the court.
Exception: 6th grade can serve from the 28ft. mark instead of the 30ft. back line.
Limit one parent spectator per player. No exceptions, no younger siblings, etc.
5th Grade Rule Modifications
(Unless specified, games will be played according to high school rules).
5th Grade Objectives: 5th grade is our transition year for volleyball participation – as the program transitions from coach-toss to full-service play and rotation. The goal at this level is to teach fundamental movement and volleyball skills; that focus on 3 hits per possession – pass, set, and hit – which is the underlying objective at this level.
Games are played according to the National Federation of State High School Associations Volleyball Rules Book (NFHS). Below are modifications and clarifications adopted by Kidsports for teams in the 5th grade.
- The Match & Scoring
- A regular season match will consist of 2 out of 3 games.
- Rally scoring will be used. The winner of a game shall be the first team to 25 points. If a third game is necessary, it will be played to 15 points. All games must have a two-point margin for victory with a cap of 27 points in the first two games and a cap of 17 points in the third game.
- Time Limits
- If a team has won 2 games, teams will continue to play until they’ve reached the time limit of 45 minutes. (This modification is to encourage practice/skill building. No score will be kept for the 3rd game).
- Time outs
- Time Outs (2 per game) shall not exceed 30 seconds and are not allowed during the last two minutes of a time limit.
- The Server
- Each server is allowed to serve as long as they win points for a maximum of three serves. After three successful winning serves, a team retains the serve but the next player in the rotation becomes the server. The server is a designated back row player and cannot come to the net to attack the ball. A let serve is legal, so a serve that touches the net but continues over into the opponents’ court is a playable ball. Player is allowed 1 serve-toss restart once per serving rotation. Referee may award a point to the other team each time a player continues to do a “practice toss” before each serve.
- The Court
- 5th grade will play on a court 25′ X 25′ for each half.
- Serving Line
- 5th grade will serve from the back line (25′ from net).
- 5th grade will have 6’5″ net height.
- A special light weight ball will be used and provided by Kidsports.
- Team Composition
- A team shall consist of 5 in the 5th grade. At least three players must be present to start a game. If a player shows up after a game has begun, he/she should be inserted into the game at a side-out or a time out.
- Playing Requirements
- All players on the team roster must be listed on the line-up card. All players present play in every game. Players follow the rotation assigned by the coach prior to the game. You must rotate your entire roster into the serving position, no substitutions. The only substitutions or changes allowed will be due to a late arriving player or an injured player.
- Failure to play players the required amount shall result in a forfeit of the match.
- Coach must clear with Sports Manager if a player does not play required minimum playing time due to disciplinary reasons. This must be cleared prior to the game.