Fall 2020 volleyball season rules adjustments:
Practices and Matches can be Friday evenings, Saturday any time, or Sunday any time.
Line up cards:
Line up cards will not be used for this season. Players will be listed in the scorebook.
All matches will have a 45-minute time limit.
The service line will be the back line of the court.
Exception: 6th grade can serve from the 28ft. mark instead of the 30ft. back line.
Limit one parent spectator per player. No exceptions, no younger siblings, etc.
6th Grade Rule Modifications
(Unless specified, games will be played according to high school rules).
6th Grade Objectives: 6th grade volleyball begins to introduce more advanced fundamentals and competitive skills of the game while still maximizing participation and a full range of positional play for each player.
Games are played according to the National Federation of State High School Associations Volleyball Rules Book (NFHS). Below are modifications and clarifications adopted by KIDSPORTS for teams in the 6th grade.
- The Match & Scoring
- A regular season match will consist of 2 out of 3 games.
- Rally scoring will be used. The winner of a game shall be the first team to 25 points. If a third game is necessary, it will be played to 15 points. All games must have a two-point margin for victory with a cap of 27 points in the first two games and a cap of 17 points in the third game.
- Time Limits
- The total match will have a 45-minute time limit. If time limit is reached, finish the point if in the middle of play. Regardless of score of game, the match is over. If a team has already won 2 games, teams will continue to play until they’ve reached the time limit. (This modification is to encourage practice/skill building. No score will be kept for the 3rd game).
- Time outs
- Time Outs (2 per game) shall not exceed 30 seconds.
- The Server
- The server is a designated back row player and cannot come to the net to attack the ball. Under rally scoring, a let serve is legal and the ball is in play. Player is allowed 1 serve-toss restart once per serving rotation. Referee may award a point to the other team each time a player continues to do a “practice toss” before each serve.
- The Court
- A full size court 30′ X 30′ for each half will be utilized.
- Serving Line
- The serving line will be at 28 feet from the center line.
- Net height will be 7′ 4 1/8”.
- 6th grade will use a special light weight ball provided by Kidsports.
- Team Composition
- A team shall consist of six (6) players on the court at one time. At least four players must be present to start a game. If a player shows up after a game has begun, he/she should be inserted into the game at an appropriate time.
- Playing Requirements
- All players on the team roster must be listed on the line-up card. All players present play in every game. Players follow the rotation assigned by the coach prior to the game. You must rotate your entire roster into the serving position, no substitutions. The only substitutions or changes allowed will be due to a late arriving player or an injured player.
- Failure to play players the required amount shall result in a forfeit of the match.
- Coach must clear with Sports Manager if a player does not play required minimum playing time due to disciplinary reasons. This must be cleared prior to the game.